Crown Nation Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Games you would like to see
Tyson
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:28:38 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Now, I realize that there aren't many people on the forum yet, but I thought I would pose this question anyway and people can chime in as they show up.

What games or gameplay styles/mechanics would you like to see in a game that hasn't been done in a very long time (like Gemfire) or something that has never been done before?

Besides Gemfire, I would love to see a new game like Winning Post, which was a horse racing/breeding simulator. I played it on Sega Saturn and there hasn't been really anything as good since then. Every time I see Secretariat I get in the mood to play again.
Sniglefritz
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2014 4:35:50 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
A game my brother, friends, and I loved when we were younger was Lords of Magic ... similar to the Lords of the Realm series. It was turn based strategy, but when you got in to combat it was more real time strategy, but you could pause the game by hitting the spacebar and give out orders as needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgyhbE3jYN8

I've tried to find updated / newer Lords of Magic style games, but haven't had much luck.

Another game my brother and I use to get lost in for ages was Starflight for the Sega Genesis. They had a few other versions for the PC and such, but we felt the Sega Genesis version was by far the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37k7cnuWdPs

Thanks for reading!
Tyson
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 03, 2014 9:22:27 AM(UTC)

Man

I have never played Lords of Magic, although it does look pretty cool. I played a lot of Lords of the Realm though! The game was nearly impossible though. My brother and I played it multiplayer a lot and found that balancing population, food, and army size was insanely difficult. Still, it was a lot of fun. I can't think of any modern game like it either.

I have never heard of Starflight. It looks like a game I would have liked a lot though if I had played it back in the day. It looks interesting though, it looks like a pretty open world type game to explore. There are similar games like this around aren't there? Like Eve Online, or Miner Wars. Or space strategy games like AI Wars, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc. What about Starflight is unique that you haven't found in recent games?
Sniglefritz
#4 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 2:20:41 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Listening to your podcast while writing this. I think the piece from Starflight that I liked the most that seems to be different from other "Space" games, was not only did it have a good system of leveling up your starship and having to protect it, but you could go to other planets and mine it for resources to sell or use to barter with other races. It also had ground combat, and you had to use your officers for different aspects of the game. Your science officer would be able to analyze planets and try to find "Class M" Planets that humans could colonize. Most other games I've played today seem to mostly focus on space combat, and the planet aspect is very basic and under developed.
Tyson
#5 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2014 11:29:11 AM(UTC)

Man

Ahh, I see now how it would be different from modern types of games. Just about everything I have played really does focus on the combat and I think a focus on exploration and the planets would be really awesome! I wonder if the shift to action-oriented is a result of people not wanting other aspects of the game or if there is something about developers making games that they think people will want but isn't neccessarily the case. This brings up something I have been thinking about lately in relation to that 'magic' feeling from old games. Take a game like Utopia for SNES. Have you ever played it? It's kind of like Sim City only on an alien planet and there is some rudimentary RTS elements. The one thing about this game that I fell in love with was that there were more than one planet and each planet had a different alien race on it. You would send spies out and after a few months they would return with some new intel on that alien civilization. After years of in game spying you would get a picture of their people, temperament, technologies, and things like how they operate their society. I thought it was amazing but it got me thinking, would that feature in a game today even work? It really was a trickle of information in a game that otherwise gives you very little information. What part of this was magic? The fact that games in that time didn't have stories or what it that it was crafted very well? Or if you take a game like Metroid which had very little story but the game's story was still amazing, how would that translate today? Metroid Zero Mission was a retelling of the first game only they had a bunch of cut scenes and dialog and in some ways it wrecked what made the original magical.

So I wonder, would a game 'work' in today's day and age if it had very little story but what story it did deliver would be considered more 'magical' or significant because of the relative lack of details in the game. Or would it just seem hollow and lacking because modern games have become much better at story telling? This of course, is directly relevant to Gemfire and Sunset Over Lievnos. Was Gemfire magical because there was so much mystery in the scarce details you received? In a way, I'm taking the same path everyone else has done with a remake and that is, make it bigger and therefore better! We have a full novel of story and a game engine revolving around characters but I wonder if the thing I like about Gemfire (ie. the cool world and story) is not being wrecked because I am missing the reason the story was so great.

To add one more layer, is it the fact that we were/are young when we played these games and the nostalgia factor the only thing going on here? Perhaps people who are young will look fondly on ANY game that they liked when they were young. Do you think it's even possible to recreate a game that has the same or similar 'magical' qualities today as the games you played when you were younger.

Thoughts? Opinions?