Crown Nation Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Awesome project!
WickedPrince
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:21:34 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I adored Gemfire since I saw it on Sega Channel in the 90s. I've replayed it countless times and do campaigns ever few weeks. :) I used to sit and draw up back stories for all the characters based off of the small hints in the game.

I am very pleased that you're making something in that spirit, but deeper. With story, character relationships, etc. My love for these sort of dynastic struggles is related to my love of books such as I, Claudius by Robert Graves and the wonderful A Song of Ice & Fire series by GRRM.

Thank you for doing this. :) I will be one of your first buyers of the new game.

Tyson
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:50:18 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey WickedPrince, glad you're excited about our project! If you are into reading and books you'll be happy to know that we are working on a story that leads up to the game. It has already reached novella status in size. It was originally going to be a short story but it has grown into a life of it's own. I'm having a great time writing it and I think it adds a lot to the world and its characters. We plan on releasing a chapter a week leading up to the release of the game. Depending on how long the story turns out to be, we may may end up starting to release story fairly soon.

I haven't read I, Claudius but it sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a read when I get some spare time.

Out of curiosity, how did you find out about Sunset Over Lievnos?
WickedPrince
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:51:48 PM(UTC)

Tyson wrote:
Hey WickedPrince, glad you're excited about our project! If you are into reading and books you'll be happy to know that we are working on a story that leads up to the game. It has already reached novella status in size. It was originally going to be a short story but it has grown into a life of it's own. I'm having a great time writing it and I think it adds a lot to the world and its characters. We plan on releasing a chapter a week leading up to the release of the game. Depending on how long the story turns out to be, we may may end up starting to release story fairly soon.

I haven't read I, Claudius but it sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a read when I get some spare time.

Out of curiosity, how did you find out about Sunset Over Lievnos?

I, Claudius was the inspiration behind HBO/BBC's Rome. :) It deals with the intrigues of the Julio-Claudian dynasty from Augustus to Claudius. Dealing with the poisonings, rebellions, the tyranny of Tiberius, and the reign of the insane Caligula it would feed a lot of inspiration to anybody writing about royal intrigues.

I was looking for fan scenarios on Game FAQs and read about SOL. I have been trying to figure out how Dorafan's scenarios were put together as I wanted to make a few unique storylines. One included Adryl of Lanksire stealing the ruby and fleeing Ishmeria forsaking his tyrannic father, mother, and brother. He returns with a lone province and a small army to right Blanche which won the north and Eadric who won the south. :D

I have high hopes for SOL as many of the KOEI games lacked back story to them. Knowing the history of each family, why they are at odds with other families, factions within their own, and even unrequited loves between some of the nobles can make complex scenarios.

The only other game Gemfire-ish I have liked has been Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance that had different realms, races, histories, and relics of power. :)

I would discuss the game on Reddit in classic gaming.
Tyson
#4 Posted : Friday, June 27, 2014 7:08:22 AM(UTC)

Man

I, Claudius sounds pretty good! I'll see if I can find it and fit it in to my schedule!

Sounds like a pretty neat story idea! I always wished that Gemfire had more story to it than it did. I did like how the community put pieces together though, perhaps some of the magic of the game was the fact that you had to infer a lot of things or use your imagination. Hopefully there is a place though for a game like it that explores story and character more because that's what I'm ultimately doing! I think you really "get" the angle I was taking for this game, so I hope it lives up to expectation!

I have never played Birthright, but perhaps it's something I should check out. It looks really interesting, but it may be tricky to get a hold of.

I'll definitely bring up SoL on Reddit once I have more to show. I plan on doing some podcasts and live-blogging of me working on the game within the next 2-3 weeks, so check back for that if you're interested in seeing some behind the scenes!
WickedPrince
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2014 10:37:28 AM(UTC)

I get what you mean. :)

Doing each scenario you get a good feel for who they all are and why they are such an Ander, Erin, and Garth. Ander and Erin are likely cousins from two cadet branches they likely ran the principality in the north of Ishmeria. I imagine Lankshire crushed the lead family in the north long ago when it united the continent. Garth and his family represent the fiercely independent islanders of Lisle who loath mainlanders and prefer to live unmolested. You can tell Ander has tried to hold claim over them for a while and at some point even succeeds putting his Lisle puppet Walter or is own younger brother Randal in charge of the isle.

Eadric has the most obvious. I imagine he left Ishmeria at some point by being banished by his father.

Others like Loryn's claim and Gweyn's claim more to be idealists. I picture Loryn and other young war leaders angry at the tyranny and cruelty of the King. Gweyn seems to be an idealist and political strategist who refuses to send her armies to support the King's brutal crack down on the rebels.

Leander seems to be a young Lankshire cousin who, which his young entourage, has designs on seizing the capital of at Centra.

Erik and Lars both seem to be warriors struggling to bring order to the southwestern peninsula. I believe eventually their own differences are set aside when Eadric arrives and convinces them to support him as the true king.

Tyson
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2014 12:04:28 PM(UTC)

Man

It sounds like you have put some decent thought into their fates! I often wonder if KOEI actually had a story planned out and just gave us hints or if it was just cobbled together and keen players just used conjecture and imagination to fill out the story. Did you ever actually write any fan fiction for Gemfire?
WickedPrince
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2014 10:09:24 PM(UTC)

Not for Gemfire. I remember working stories out in my head off of clues. Koei did allow me a lot of room to imagine scenarios and their meanings. Some are just paradoxes... Why are the Chrysalis not bending the knee to Ander? Why is one scenario called 'Flax's Shame'? Why, with almost no war power, did Gweyn rise up against Eselred?

Tyson
#8 Posted : Friday, July 04, 2014 7:28:41 AM(UTC)

Man

Lol I guess it's really a double edge blade. Having loose story elements give you freedom of interpretation but it doesn't stand up well even under moderate amounts of scrutiny. It's too bad, I'm quite curious about Flax's Shame! I wonder how the other games in the series are? It's too bad we only got the first one.
WickedPrince
#9 Posted : Friday, July 04, 2014 7:19:47 PM(UTC)

Royal Blood II is more or less a different game with no continuity where they tried to capitalize on the popular name of another title.

http://translate.google....6biw%3D1252%26bih%3D564

You can read the Japanese Wiki entry on it. Had a good and evil scenario and had no relation to it in gameplay, setting, characters...

I like the SOL approach you guys have of inputting lore. It can really help replay value and give great depth.
Tyson
#10 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2014 10:28:49 AM(UTC)

Man

Huh, I didn't know it was completely different. That's pretty crappy actually, it would have been really cool to see a return of some of those familiar characters or their children.
WickedPrince
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2014 11:15:29 PM(UTC)

Tyson wrote:
Huh, I didn't know it was completely different. That's pretty crappy actually, it would have been really cool to see a return of some of those familiar characters or their children.

I really think Koei had a game and decided to just give it the Royal Blood name. Doesn't even share a creator let alone setting/characters.

I really hate that they made it a duelist good/evil setting. :/ Gemfire had very little of that... Sure, Eselred was said to be a tyrant. But, Eselred was only a small part of it. By losing Gemfire everyone was more or less in it for themselves. Without the crown of power they rose because they all saw themselves as King/Queen.

Tyson
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:25:07 AM(UTC)

Man

I suspect you're probably right, similar to how Mario Bros 2 happened.

I didn't know the story was good vs evil. I agree that Gemfire is interesting because there isn't anyone who is evil for the sake of being evil. That model is how I am making SoL, there are no 'evil' characters per se, and each character and family has their own motivations, some you might agree with more than others.